Introduction of Safety Footwear
Generally, footwear with toecaps are so-called Safety Footwear. In other words, it shall not be safety footwear without toecaps. There are commonly two caps: steal toe and composite toe. They are usually taken as heavy-duty shoes and used to protect feet. As we know, safety footwear is also known as safety shoes, safety boots, steel-toe boots or steel-capped boots.
According to the requirements for safety footwear in Taiwan (R.O.C), all safety footwear and working shoes shall have toe protection while puncture resistance is one of additional functions.
Why to Wear Safety Footwear?
The reason why to wear safety footwear in some workplaces is just as to wear a helmet while riding a bike. Accidents happen all the time. Therefore, we shall wear properly safe equipment to protect ourselves from injuries.
Where to Wear Safety Footwear?
Safety footwear is suitable for people working in manufacturing, warehouse, transportation, concrete, welder, mechanic, construction and heavy industry etc. (where people need to move heavy stuff and there is iron chipping or nails everywhere.)
How to Choose Suitable Safety Footwear?
We strongly suggest that customers choose half or one size larger than usual shoes for their safety footwear. There is a built-in steel toecap and it goes well with a pair of thick socks to protect toes from being hit the cap.
What Is The Function of Safety Footwear?
- The built-in safety toecaps are anti-smash and designed to protect the toes of the wearer from impacts of an energy level of at least 200 J.
- The outsoles are slip-resistant and wear-resistant. One of the three slip resistance requirements shall be met: marking symbol SRA, SRB and SRC.
- Commonly, safety footwear is anti-puncture, water-resistant, heat-resistant, fuel oil-resistant and non-slip. Some are with special functions, such as static resistance, electrical conduction, electrical insulation etc.
Additional Requirements of CNS20345 in Taiwan (R.O.C) for Safety Footwear:
Additional requirements can be necessary for safety footwear depending upon risks to be encountered at the workplace. In such cases, safety footwear shall conform to the appropriate additional requirements and corresponding marking given below.
|Additional Requirements of CNS20345 in Taiwan (R.O.C) for Safety Footwear:||Class||Symbol||Definition|
|Penetration resistance||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||P||Anti-pierce, anti-puncture|
||Ⅱ||See EN 50321|
|Resistance to inimical environments|
||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||HI||Insulation against heat|
||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||CI||Insulation against cold|
|Energy absorption of seat region||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||E||Heel energy absorption|
|Cut resistance||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||CR||Cut resistant upper|
|Water penetration and absorption||Ⅰ||WRU||Water repellent|
|Resistance to hot contact||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||HRO||Heat resistance outsole|
|Resistance to fuel oil||Ⅰ,Ⅱ||FO|
- EN ISO 20345:2011 Personal protective equipment – Safety footwear https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:20345:ed-2:v1:en
- CNS 20345 Personal protective equipment – Safety footwear
- CNS 20346 Personal protective equipment – Protective footwear http://tainan.bsmi.gov.tw/wSite/public/Attachment/f1498550247372.pdf
Safety footwear made by Soletec all meets the requirements of CNS6863 and CNS20345 in Taiwan (R.O.C) and is insured for $ 33 million against accidental damage to guarantee our customers.